is a powerful number. It plays a central role in Pareto Analysis. It is “four-score.” It is the maximum speed limit in 3+ states. It also defines a different kind of inch worm.
- We managed to get 80% moved in in ten days.
- It took us ten more days to work off 80% of the remaining 20%.
- We are a day away from completing the third ten days, and we have managed to work off 80% of the next remaining 20%.
Philosophically, we will never be completely moved in at this rate. [and I am ignoring the garage and short-term storage unload still to be dealt with]. But one thing we learned in years of military moves is there is a point at which one declares Victory and moves on, and 80%+16%+3.2%=99.2% is it.
The benchmark for Victory is having others into the house for dinner. [the kind with courses and place-mats and cloth napkins]. We have reached that benchmark and have transitioned from moving in to settling in. Settling in is a more gradual process [with occasional bursts fueled by frustration at something trivial].
When it comes to settling in, the remaining 80%s get worked off in months rather than tens of days. Since it is only about three of those before we head back toward the Bahamas, we would like to be able to declare Victory on the remainder. But you guessed it, as the end of that last month approaches, the last 80% accomplished will still leave 20% undone. C’est la vie.
Posted in 2014
I find it interesting after all the Happy Hour outrage over the proposed adverse rule making that came on the heels of the announcement of the current Florida FWC concept exploration, the public meetings have come and gone with almost no comment. Postings here, Cruisersnet, Seven Seas, and Waterway Guide have garnered all of three comments.
I have run a test on some popular anchorages and what a 300 foot keep-out zone means. Basically, Faber Cove would cease to be usable, and the same for Lake Boca Raton and Lake Sylvia. On the other hand, the 300 foot keep-out zone applied to North Lake Worth, and Lake Worth proper and Hobe Sound would have almost no impact given the bottom contours and ICW channel proximity. The charts are below.
I used the shoreline to profile the zones, as Capt Klein of the FWC said they had exempted docks from their definition as it would be too hard to draw contours around them. So clearly he wasn’t thinking 300 feet from the structures of houses and condos.
Notwithstanding the problem of the State ceding control of State waters to municipalities and Federal prerogatives, the trouble is 300 feet is a starting point — there is an equal probability the number will get larger or smaller. Since 300 feet still allows two or three small cruisers room to anchor in Faber Cove, Lake Sylvia and Lake Boca Raton, we should be watchful for attempts to move up from 300 feet.
I looked no farther south as we don’t travel any farther south than necessary to get to the Bahamas where cruisers who anchor are more welcome.
Tonight I attended the FWC hosted Vero Beach meeting on regulatory Concepts for anchoring in Florida. The meeting was well run by Maj Moore of the FWC who was supported by Capt Klein and a staff of non-uniformed personnel. Seven regulatory Concepts were presented with repeated requests throughout the meeting for the attendees to put their thoughts in the comments sections of the questionnaires provided. A similar meeting is scheduled for Bradenton tomorrow evening. A regulated open mike session allowed time for cruisers, other boaters, home owners, members of the boating industry and locality representatives to speak.
The core purpose of the meeting was to provide the FWC access to a broader thought base when developing regulatory alternatives to respond to legislative attempts to return to locally controlled anchoring. While the FWC Anchoring Pilot Program was extended for three years in the last session, there is no reason to believe it won’t come up again this next session.
The elephant in the room issue is a regulatory concept allowing anchoring keep out zones in the vicinity of waterfront residences. The initial language proposes expansive keep out zones which would largely eliminate anchoring in Florida’s most populous and/or geographically constrained waterfront regions — a boon to marina owners and mooring field operators — and quite possibly unconstitutional if not simply illegal.
As is usual in cases like this, the public comment was all over the map. About 75% of the comments were on topic, the rest were either meandering or sales pitches or diatribes of some sort. Some comments were more appropriate to a legislative comment environment. Of the on topic comments, about half were polite rants [actually this was a very polite crowd, considering the potential downside of both legislation and the FWC keep out concept] the other half contained a few useful ideas and raised issues that will likely require a court challenge to ever see settled. Several people spoke in favor of uniformity in application — but several worried one size may not fit all considering Florida’s geographic variety.
About 100 people attended. Roughly a third spoke. A couple of people on both sides of the issue behaved badly, but they failed to ignite audience passion or participation.
I agree with Major Moore. It is better to have this dialog now and concepts in hand when the legislative juggernaut starts up again than it is to respond to proposed legislation with “duh.”
All seven concepts can be found at. http://myfwc.com/media/2847550/anchoring-public-meeting.pdf
Met these folks at dinner a week ago. Their site is worth several looks.
Blogging is a bit narcissistic. For all the good information blogs impart, much of their content is more satisfying to the writer than the audience. So be it.
Our moving van arrived at 0830 on the 25th. By 1330, the excellent delivery crew was finished; our newly painted walls untouched. All was in apparent good order. And our assault on boxes began. We collected antiques and unusual musical instruments. What are the only two things wrecked so far? An antique tureen and an exotic wood slit drum made by a Laguna Beach denizen. Between them a tidy sum, not to mention we liked them, we really liked them [;)] In military moves it has been worse, though.
So now we face three facts. We didn’t cull enough when we packed, things which once held our interest hold much less after three years of storage, and our color palette has shifted. Oh darn.
So some of the boxes are being saved for some items for which we will find new homes. And at the marina barbeque today people were talking about their last trip to the Bahamas or the next one, and soon we will be too.
In the meantime, there is the Florida Anchoring Meeting here in Vero Beach on the 3rd. Should be interesting — is it theater preceding a forgone conclusion, or is it the beginning of an honest, open dialog?
Posted in 2014
Tagged Essay, Vero Beach