Live Every Minute You Have

So, Sunday and time to go home for real. After a transaction with the West/Rhode Riverkeeper Honey Dipper (Pump Out Boat) we set sail about 500 meters from where we were anchored and reached in a nice breeze to the mouth of the West River where the wind went to ZERO. Three times it teased us on the way south. Three times we set and furled and cleaned up after. Three times we watched boats east and west of us sailing in breezes that were opposing and meeting right on top of us and going UP we assume. After the third come and go of breeze, we pointed the bow toward home and fired up Yanmar-san.

Fifteen minutes later we had 18-15-12 knots from the WSW. We could have sailed, but at this point we said, “nah.” Over the next four miles we encountered more boats out with sails up than we have seen in this area in many years. Very pretty — a few clueless made admiring the view more about paying attention for sudden and inexplicable course changes though.

Arriving at our slip we found marina workmen had left their floating platform in our slip, so we had to deal with that before we could get the boat secured. Fortunately, we were back to ZERO wind. I had a bit of trouble maneuvering the platform to where it wouldn’t create a potential for damage. In the end, I had to lay down on the dock and force it because it kept bumping into something submerged.

The German Embassy folks (few slips away) returned while I was dealing with the work-float, and Janet noticed quite a bit of high volume, high pitched sturm und drang at their arrival even though it was dead calm. It turned out, as we left for early dinner 20 minutes after that, they had spotted a human corpse floating in the water behind their boat — right where whatever I shoved out of the way with the float would have ended up. To their credit they had thrown a blanket over it so the constant traffic of to-from pool kids wouldn’t have to see. It had been a 62 year old live-aboard who’d been in our marina 18 years. The investigation lasted well into the evening, as it should have. The police wouldn’t let anyone on the dock, as was right. So we ended up at the pool conversing with folks we hadn’t seen in quite a while. Current speculation is a heart-attack.

We left today. Even with the ephemeral nature of the event, one’s eyes were drawn to where the blanket had been floating.

Comments are closed.