I have migrated two logbooks worth of maintenance records to blog format. After looking at applications available for the task, I found them to be too formated to someone else’s style to work for me and too feature rich for the need.
So, I set up an Apache Server, MySQL and PHP instances on my computer and loaded WordPress to this.
Now each Maintenance activity is a post.
- It is tagged with a system identifier.
- It is categorized with a time period.
- Engine and genset hours are treated similarly but are posted as “asides” in a column of their own (but also show up interleaved with the main postings).
- The (Better) Tag Cloud gives me an instant picture of where the effort is going.
- The (Expandable) Archives with post counts give me a quick view of maintenance heavy periods.
- The calendar does what they do.
And it’s all done with a software platform that required zero learning curve.
AND I CAN SEARCH! (within the Blog or within the SQL database)
I am in the process of building pages with systems information and links.