Well even if we were completely free agents, the wind hasn’t been particularly good for crossing to the Bahamas. Even long-time weather routers have commented on it. We have had friends sickened and seriously injured out there in the last few weeks. Unfavorable wind directions have dominated, and several otherwise good wind days have been problems because of lingering northerly swells. The forecast is for more of the same.
But we haven’t been completely free agents. The bureaucratic SNAFU associated with my Medicare card was resolved yesterday after 74 days. Dealing with the USAF won’t be complete until this coming Monday. It has been a game of tetherball with me as the ball. This week they added injury to insult, but nuff said.
Since we had all this time on our hands we have gotten to know the area well enough we have decided we want to know more. Plus after leaving my sail-making sewing machine in Brunswick, I had three jobs come up for which it is needed. So we are going to retrieve all that we have stored in Maryland and in Georgia including our car and put it in storage here.
And since we had all this time on our hands, but didn’t know when time would be up, we decided to install some stuff to make cruising easier and more enjoyable. The Lavac, I blogged about. Over the next few days we will be amping up our satphone with a high power fixed antenna and adding satellite TV, and finalizing a few things that have been in trial mode for a (long) while. Oh yes, and there is the teak.
The good news is our insurance company is now allowing us to stay in Florida through hurricane season. Much of their willingness was tied to the virtually land locked marina 10 and 15 miles from the nearest inlets — and more money and our assumption of more of the risk.
For those ahead of us, we are on our way, soon.