For the Fried Tofu – also called Agedashi Tofu
1 block (~12.3oz)
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp of ground white pepper
1/2 cup panko flakes
For the Sesame-Soy Dipping Sauce –
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp agave nectar
2 tsp sesame oil
3 cloves garlic – minced
Crushed red chili flakes to taste
Paprika to taste
Fish Sauce to taste
1 spring onion – chopped
1. Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl, and set aside.
2. Mix cornstarch and white pepper in one small bowl. Then whisk egg in another small bowl. And finally, add in panko flakes into a third small bowl.
3. Carefully remove the tofu block from its package, since it can break easily. Slice into pieces the thickness of a “fish stick” and then cut crosswise if desired. Blot dry!
4. Coat each tofu cube first in the cornstarch bowl, then egg, then panko flakes.
5. Add vegetable oil into skillet until it pools to only about 1/4 inch deep. Heat on medium-high fire to 350-375°F [Safety note: Never heat oil unattended]
6. Place all the tofu cubes into the skillet. When one side browns, flip it over to another side. Repeat until nicely browned. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towel. Serve hot with sesame-soy dipping sauce.
Consider buying some of their spices. Plus this dipping sauce has a myriad of uses. It makes an excellent salad dressing, and a wonderful noodle soup.